Friday, December 21, 2012

Hostility In Political Debates, Why Is It So Common?

I have noticed an increased amount of hostility regarding political debates online, and more extremism from people of all sides. The last two weeks have absolutely been some of the worst "debates" I have seen in quite a while.

This isn't a new problem at all, I've called politics "the new religion" before, because quite frankly, I've had more civil (and productive) conversations over religion than I have politics.

That fact is rather disappointing, but maybe it's a good sign, does that show that religion doesn't have as much influence in our society as it used to? If so, that could be an encouraging sign, but it doesn't make the political debates any more bearable.

I just ask my readers to calm down, pause and think before you type a hostile response to someone. Read what you are typing again, and re consider if it may be too harsh. Consider the possibility that you may be wrong. (I know, shocking, right?). I mean, this is the Christmas after all. Peace on earth, good will to men, right? Wait.... I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that regard, I've said before how I feel about Christmas, but maybe I can appeal to your sense of a Christmas spirit. We can all debate without being unreasonable, it can happen, and I really do appreciate a good debate, just ask anyone who follows me on Google +.

Just calm down, everyone, will you?

3 comments:

  1. I think that some people get way too attached to ideas, so much so that they lose themselves in the process and end up mindlessly parroting talking points. When these talking points involve demonizing the other side, as they often seem to do, everybody ends up feeling attacked. Learning to distinguish between disagreement and criticism of ideas vs. ad hominem attacks on one's person is an important but elusive antidote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I'm not sure why that was posted anonymously, but that was me.

      Delete
    2. Trying to go incognito? ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

No spam, proselytizing, or personal attacks, such comments will never see the light of day around here.

Disagreeing with me is fine (I encourage it), but have some decency when writing your comment